My Go To DIY Masks

July 18, 2017

So I have currently being obsessed with 2 DIY masks, the Turmeric mask and Activated Charcoal mask. I do each mask once a week, but I alternate between the weeks. Doing each mask in the same week just wasn't feasible, I would get lazy or plans would pop up when I was meant to be doing the mask. You'll also see that the process can get a little messy, pictured below.

Turmeric Mask





Turmeric mask process isn't as messy as the Activated Charcoal mask, but do be aware that turmeric stains garments, so I would recommend that you do it in your pyjamas or black clothing. Okay, the reason why I love this mask is that you receive glowing skin from the first time you use it (it's also known as The Glowing Mask) and it also improves your skin texture, your skin becomes softer. The mask also fights acne, dry skin and it even outs your skin tone. What helps fight the acne is the antiseptics and antibacterial properties which derive from the main component of turmeric, Curcumin.  It aids in the reduction of acne by regulating the production of sebum in the facial skin. Furthermore with these properties, including turmeric's anti-inflammatory properties it also aids in the reduction of pigmentation issues and uneven skin tone. The yoghurt contains lactic acids which dissolve dead skin cells. It is also a gentle exfoliator which helps in achieving a natural glow, preventing breakouts and diminishing the appearance of lines and wrinkles (and just like wearing eye cream you cannot start too early in combatting those other wrinkles). Last but not least, honey is a natural antibacterial which means it's great for the prevention and treatment of acne. It is full of antioxidants which are great for slowing down the ageing process. Lastly, because it's moisturising it helps create a natural glow as well.

How to make the mask: 
2 tsp of Tumeric
2-3 tsp of Milk or Plain Yoghurt
1 tsp of Honey

You then mix the ingredients until the paste is consistent. I prefer to use yoghurt over milk because the mask is thicker which causes less of a mess.

Application process:

First cleanse your face, then apply the mask. You can use your finger or an old foundation brush (I wouldn't recommend using your current one). Then allow 20-25 minutes for the mask to dry, afterwards rinse off with warm water. While rinsing off the mask you will feel that the turmeric is also a gentle exfoliator. I use my face wash to wash off the rest of the mask.

Okay so after washing the mask off this is where I switch up my routine( the same applies to the charcoal mask). I don't usual tone, so that means I don't use my toner after washing my face. I moisture my face with coconut oil (it's a small amount, your skin can absorb only so much oil). Even if you have oily skin, you can still use coconut oil as a moisturiser, your skin still needs oils even if it's oily. Remember, I only do this once a week.





Activated Charcoal Mask 





I use this mask to target my blackheads and shrink my pores. So, I have tried the peel-off version of this but it's just too painful and it wasn't that effective. So the mask I'm about share is one where you can wash off and it's effective without being painful. So the mask unclogs pores, tightens and reduces large pores, fights acne and prevents and clears blackheads. The activated charcoal draws bacteria, chemicals to the surface of the skin. The second ingredient is Bentonite clay which unclogs and shrinks pores, controls the overproduction of sebum, softens the skin and reduces the appearance of the scars. The clay also has many more benefits. The clay also has healing properties as its extracted from volcanic ash. The reason why the clay can achieve these things is that when it's in contact with a fluid (I use water) its electrical components change giving it the ability to absorb toxins. Very, very important when making the mask do not use metallic crockery and cutlery; ceramic or plastic only!

How to make the mask:

2 tsp of Activated Charcoal
1 tsp of Bentonite Clay
3-4 tsp of Water

Mix the ingredients until the paste is consistent, there should not be any lumps. Please remember do not use anything metallic to make the mask, due to the clay.

Application Process:

I apply the mask with my fingers. Then allow 20-25 minutes for the mask to dry but this depends on how thick your mask maybe, so it could take up to 30 mins (if you want it completely dry).

I don't usually tone, so it means don't use my toner after washing my face. I moisture my face with coconut oil (it's a small amount because your skin can absorb only so much oil). Even if you have oily skin, you can still use coconut oil as the moisturiser, your skin still needs oils even if it's oily. Remember I only do this once a week, so I alternate the masks.

So, on weeks where I don't have time to make ta mask, I just apply Aloe Vera Gel after cleansing my face and then allow it to dry which takes about 15 mins.There after I wash it off and apply coconut oil. Lastly, I've linked the products with stores where I've bought them.

Photography: Tsholo Mamogale
(editing was done by me)
Stay Charmless, T





You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I'm so glad someone retweeted you blogpost onto my TL. Good read! I do the same exact same facial masks and have been thinking of adding Apple cider vinegar to the charcoal one😬 Where do you get your aloe Vera gel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, me too and thank you so much! I got the Aloe Vera gel from Dischem.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this remedy. It works wonders. You look stunning hey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thank you so much and thank you for sharing your feedback!

    ReplyDelete